Saturday, March 24, 2007

Tamil - TN High Court Language

Article 348, Constitution of India:

(2) Notwithstanding anything in sub-clause (a) of clause (1), the Governor _304*** of a State may, with the previous consent of the President, authorise the use of the Hindi language, or any other language used for any official purposes of the State, in proceedings in the High Court having its principal seat in that State:Provided that nothing in this clause shall apply to any judgment, decree or order passed or made by such High Court. Source:http://astsun.astro.virginia.edu/~sk4zw/india-const/p17348.html

1) As seen in the above link from the constitution of India, it is legal to introduce an "Official Language" of a state(Tamil in TN) as a "High Court Language" of that state.

2) Tamil would be used along with English - the intention is NOT to replace English.

3) If the Judge is NOT comfortable with Tamil, he can choose English.

4) States like Bihar, Rajasthan, UP, MP use one of their "Official Language" - Hindi as an "High Court Language" along with English.

5) In TN, 87 % of the population has Tamil as Mother Tongue. Of the remaining 13 % a significant number would be fluent in Tamil. This move would enable the "Tamil-literate/English Illiterate population to follow the proceedings of the High Court.

More Info:
Karunanidhi stands firm on Tamil in High Court:
http://www.hindu.com/2007/03/12/stories/2007031205180100.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But this move has been blocked . Why is it time and again we are not being served justice. The hatred is boiling within me .

BLUESPACE அறிவுமணி, ஜெர்மனி said...

DEAR ANONY , PLZ CLEAR ME AGAIN WHAT U SAID IN DETAIL